As the year turns another leaf, many people welcome the New Year with delightful changes from a list of resolutions, to a beauty makeover, and other such improvements such as a spruce up project to change the look and feel of their homes. From the long months of economic crisis and long running New York housing crunch, what better way to breathe in a fresh change into lives than with undertaking projects to further enhance everyday living, making lifestyles notches better even through the constant hustle and bustle? This article lays out fast home improvement ideas for a new look this coming 2011 perfect whether you are in Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Queens or Staten Island.
Dress Up the Walls
One of the least expensive and fastest home improvement ideas to take on with the greatest impact to the overall look and interior design involves the walls. Being a dominant surface in every room, a change in the walls can easily recreate an entirely new ambiance. There are various ways to do this, and some of the most common include:
- Interior painting- a whole new look to rooms can be achieved. The key to this project is proper wall preparation. You can go for simple solid paints adding variety through the trimmings, or go creative with faux finishes from simple techniques to lavish murals.
- Wall papering- for added texture and a richer feel to rooms, this is a great idea to pursue. You can also choose to combine this with painting for a more unique touch.
When considering one or a combination of these, you might want to get trendy with your project by implementing the fashionable colors of 2011 in these home improvement ideas. Such ‘in’ colors include
Let There Be Light
Home improvement ideas laid out in this category will not only make up for a gorgeous new look for your interior but can also pave the way to more efficiency in homes. This can be done by adding or widening windows, but with the snow, this idea can wait until the summer months. For a fast fix, you can opt to replace and add lighting fixtures. When undertaking such home improvement ideas, maximize effects through:
- Placing lights on task-designated areas such as under cabinets to illuminate kitchen counters.
- Highlighting interesting décors to divert attention away from structural flaws.
- Making rooms suitable for whatever purpose they serve. E.g. brighter lights for study or office areas, dimmer lights in bedrooms for a more intimate and private looks, etc.
- Cutting back on monthly bills by choosing energy efficient lighting fixtures.
There are materials in your home that will only need some refinishing to make them looking as good and beautiful as of they were new. Home improvement ideas that involve refinishing are also great ways to trim down on spruce up costs as well as save yourself from the hassles of buying and installing new home features. Some of the areas that you might consider include countertops, flooring, and cabinets whether in the kitchen or bathrooms.